RE: [suse-security] sendmail and amavisd on 9.0
  • From: <Rainer_Link@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 10:50:15 +0100

> On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 10:13:40 +0100, Dirk Borchers
> <dirk.borchers@xxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > I installed sendmail, amavisd and AntiVir on my machine
> with SuSE 9.0
> > and configured sysconf to use amavisd with milter. But
> sendmail does
> > not scan the emails; and I can not find any appropiate line in
> > sendmail.cf that it should use amavis. I could not find any hint in
> > the ReadMes. What's going wrong?
>
> I have the following line in my sendmail.cf:
>
> Mlocal, P=/usr/sbin/scanmails, F=olsDFMAw5:/|@qPfhn9,
> S=10/30, R=20/40,
> T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix, A=scanmails -Y -a $h -d $u
>
> see http://www.amavis.org/amavis.html#modsendmail

NO! This refers to the very old AMaViS 0.2.x (shell script), as mentioned
at the top of the page (see the important note in red letters). The development
of 0.2.x has been stopped two years ago or so.

SUSE 9.0 ships with amavisd-new. I do not have a copy of it around; the
RPM packages of amavisd-new for SUSE I'm aware of do not support sendmail
(sendmail milter) out of the box. But those RPMs I've checked are some
month old.

Please check /etc/init.d/amavis* (don't know the exact name for 9.0). If
/usr/sbin/amavis*-milter is never called, I would assume sendmail milter
is not supported.

But please take all this with a grain of salt.

best regards,
Rainer Link
(former AMaViS maintainer)