Re: [suse-security] How long will SUSE produce security updates for SUSE 9.0 Pro?
  • From: Steffen Dettmer <steffen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 13:40:45 +0100
* Mathias Homann wrote on Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 12:57 +0100:
> face it, novell has an outstanding history for killing by neglection
> avaerything thy bought so far.

Maybe, but maybe they're learning. Novell seemed at least to be
somewhat open to new ideas and don't seem to dislike unix style
OSes; as other vendors also do they had not big successes with
their own OSes (probably because of the raised development costs)
and go somewhat with... the trend? however.

If you want a very open non-profit linux vendor, SuSE wasn't the
right choice anyway, they aim a different audience. They invested
money to functionalities and the success showed that the market
liked it; which does not mean that every professional do like it.
So keep the choice, as always. Due to the licenses, sources have
to provided continuesly I think, and by this you'll still be able
to do your own security updates if required. Novell bought a
security team (the one from SuSE) and so they have competent
people and - at least - are able to keep the security level of SuSE
in the future, I think - maybe even to improve.

After all, I think if you were satisfied with SuSE, you'd give
Novell at least a chance. Maybe they have new and powerfull
business concepts and the community benefits, who knows. If you
were not satisfied, you'd probably look for alternatives. I don't
see a change here.

oki,

Steffen