Re: [suse-security] Raid-1 Question
  • From: "Herman L. Knief" <herman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:59:10 -0800 (PST)
->I'm sorry if my questions are rookie questions but I'd be glad for help
->anyway:

Don't sweat it... it's called learning.

->I want to setup a server with SuSE Prof. 9.0 and a Software-Raid-1 system.
->First of all: Is there a possibility to create Software-Raid disks
->during the installation? (As far as I know, there is not - at least I
->never discovered one. But that's no real problem, I can work around it
->using a degraded raid.)

Yes, the disk partitioning during the install (you need to "create
custom") will allow you to setup RAID and LVM partitions.

->Second: Can Grub handle booting from a Raid disk? The author of the
->software-Raid-HOWTO said, that grub has some problems booting from
->Raid-1 disks and that he don't know how to solve them. (On the other
->hand, there have been some changes since the last update of the HOWTO.)
->Are there any special tricks needed?

No, GRUB won't deal with the RAID volume... the install will put lilo on
the system for you.

->Third (just in case we should jump to a Hardware-Raid solution): Are
->there any problems to install SuSE Prof. 9.0 on a Hardware-Raid-1 disk?

If you have a Promise, 3Ware or other supported RAID hardware, those can
be setup/used during the install as well.

- Herman