Re: [suse-security] Intrusion
  • From: dim owner <rtpc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 00:10:37 -0500
On Monday 24 November 2003 15:16, David Smith wrote:
> On Monday 24 November 2003 16:37, Antun Balaz wrote:
> > Thanks to all. By the way, searching the Internet (by Google) looking for
> > rootkit that was used on my machine, I found this site
> >
> > http://www.hackemate.com.ar/
> >
> > which is full of useful material for hackers. Can we do something about
> > it?
>
> However, whether you can/should do is another question. They are not
> necessarily the people actually cracking your machine, and the issues
> of "free speech" may come in to play here. A lot of the parts of Linux
> could be used as cracking tools; should all Linux download sites be
> taken offline?

There was a good article on that site about rootkits:
http://www.hackemate.com.ar/textos/papers/BUANZO-Detecting_and_Understanding_rootkits.txt

That the original poster might benefit from, if inclined to utilize the site
returned from google as being pertinent.

In the security community in general, there is a general reliance on an open
security model, as opposed to "security through obscurity". I don't think it
is healthy to take down the sites you can so easily find (like this one) --
they aren't the problem; there's a million sites out there you can't find so
easily.

--r
dorothy@oz:~> ls
scarecrow tinman lion