IPTables and GRE Packets
All,

I am having a problem that I hope someone could shed
some light on. I have a machine running 3COM VPN software
behind a SuSE 7.3 system running the 2.4.20 kernel.

I am having a problem writing the appropriate rules that
will allow this machine to talk to a VPN server that is sitting
on the outside world.

I know I have to write a protocol 47 rule, but am not sure
the exact syntax.

I tried the following:
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth1 -p 47 -j ACCEPT

However, running a tcpdump while trying the connection shows:
172.16.0.1 > 172.16.0.16: icmp: x.x.x.x protocol 47 port 34827 unreachable
(x.x.x.x = outside address)

Do I need to add additional support rules, or is my syntax just
incorrect?

Any assistance that can be offered is greatly appreciated.

Drew

  • No further messages