AW: [suse-security] Automatically Updating named (bind9) with local address translations
  • From: "Ulrich Roth" <Roth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 19:02:55 +0200
Hi,

> 1. Is my DNS server now visible from the INTERNET .. how can
> I tell ?
Log on to another Unix/Linux machine in the internet.
Run nslookup in interactive mode.
In nslookup, enter the following commands:
nslookup> set q=any
nslookup> server (IP of your server)

If this command works, one can probably query your server
from the internet.
Try an FQDN your server should know about:
nslookup> www.yourdomain.com

To leave the nslookup program, type "exit".
I know that nslookup has nearly become obsolete and one should
use dig, nevertheless I like nslookup.

> 2. Is there a way to directly query the DNS server and know
> the result has come from there and not some other name resolution process.
If you try it the way above, you may get the additional hint
"Authoritative answers can be found from <some other server>."
So you can at least tell if the queried server gives the answer or
any other server.
Bye
Uli
--
Ulrich Roth
IMPACT Business & Technology Consulting GmbH

  • No further messages