Re: [suse-security] Re: martian source messages [SOLVED]
  • From: Arjen de Korte <suse-security@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 08:25:03 +0200
On Saturday 20 September 2003 21:06, Pep Serrano wrote:

> Isn't there a RFC which states that internet routers must not enroute the
> reserved IP addresses?

There is, RFC 1918 - Address Allocation for Private Internets although this
document is about the private address space (not loopback address).

> I also want my ISP to be transparent, so it keeps being INTERNET. But the
> reserved IPs are not internet anyway.

It may not be coming from your ISP. My guess is, that you have cable internet.
If so, these packets are most likely from computers within the same network
segment as you are. Check the network mask of the IP of your uplink. If you
don't have a netmask equal to 255.255.255.255, the spoofed packets are most
likely NOT coming from your ISP. Everything packet travelling on that segment
is not subject to routing by your ISP.

Best regards,
Arjen

< Previous Next >