Re: [suse-security] openssh-3.5p1-107 tunneling problems
  • From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:20:11 +0200 (MEST)

> ssh 6669:irc.freenode.net:6667 michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> then i run the irc client on the localhost and connect as usual, however,
> whois looks like this:
>
> [irc_nick] (root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) : My Full Name
>
> both the localhost and the remote host are at openssh-3.5p1-107 and this
> somewhat bad behavior began after the upgrade. the sshd_config is the stock
> that came with the rpm. am i missing something?

Do the following:

host host.domain.org
host <resulting IP address from above>

The result of which is most likely ip.host.domain.org, because
host.domain.org's IP address does not reverse-resolve to host.domain.org,
but to ip.host.domain.org.

If I misunderstood the problem and "ip." means there is an ip address in
the hostname, then this looks like a nameserver zonefile problem (trailing
"." missing, zone file corrupt). That should turn out by resolving the IP
addresses, though.

It doesn't look like ssh/openssh is responsible for the strange things
you see...

> -- michael

Thanks,
Roman.