Re: [suse-security] How to disable vga (monitor) display (when compiling kernel)
  • From: Markus Gaugusch <markus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:29:16 +0200 (CEST)
On Sep 24, Bo Jacobsen <subs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm trying to disable the monitor display so nothing is shown (neigher
> while booting nor when it's time for the shell prompt) (after the grub
> boot selections) on a monitor connected to a buildt in VGA card.
This is (mostly) off-topic here, but I'll help you anyway. The easiest
method is to pass
console=ttyS0,115200
to the kernel. You won't see anything on the screen (during booting), only
the login prompt is shown when it's finished. With a vesa console, the
little tux is shown, but I think this is absolutely ok :)
You also have the advantage, that you can still see the boot messages by
attaching a serial console.
If you don't want a login prompt, remove the appropriate tty entries in
/etc/inittab (and maybe add one for ttyS0 to be able to login if network
is down).
Also, why don't you use the bootsplash patch? It should give you just what
you want ... (apart from disabling console logins).

Markus
PS: Answer privately please, I don't think that this stuff belongs here.
--
Markus Gaugusch \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign