Re: [suse-security] Making shadow passwords compulsory
  • From: Michael.James@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:41:26 +1000

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 05:41 pm, Dirk Schreiner wrote:
> now see, this is the default how passwd works under
> Linux. (Not only SuSE ;-))

Well, IMNSHO this is a Bad Thing (TM).
In the absence of a shadow entry for the user in question
passwd could grumble and fail, or it could create one.
But it should NEVER put a password in a world readable file
not even after hashing it. That's a throwback to before 1995.

> If you want to restrict use of passwd to certain users,
> you should play with chmod and chown.
I've already done this, and wrapped passwd in a script that
gives users more explaination than just "permission denied"

--
Michael James michael.james@xxxxxxxx
System Administrator voice: 02 6246 5040

< Previous Next >