root login disabled for KDM (KDE 1.4.1)
  • From: Bob Pearson <gottadoit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 07:34:24 -0400
Environment: 8.2 Suse Professional i386
(athlon kernel-source-2.4.20.SuSE-100 )
KDE 3.1.4 from SuSE supplementary directory
KDM RPM: kdebase3-kdm-3.1.4-34

/etc/passwd entry for root

root:x:0:0:Konqi:/root:/bin/bash

The name Konqi as root was added with a PNG file for KDM to display, cute
little 64x64 pixel 3D dragon that he is.

I have remote login and shutdown disabled via "Control Center->System
Administration->Login Manager". System UID set to Below 0 and Above 65000.
"unhidden with every hidden but root (before I had Below 500 and had
"Selected only" which included "root").

Unable to login to root via KDM. Message is "root logins are not allowed".

Nothing in /var/log about the attempt but this:

Oct 1 06:33:34 cueball resmgr[1227]: accepted connection from user root
Oct 1 06:33:34 cueball resmgr[1227]: disconnect from root

# cat /etc/pam.d/login
#%PAM-1.0
auth requisite pam_unix2.so nullok #set_secrpc
auth required pam_securetty.so
auth required pam_nologin.so
#auth required pam_homecheck.so
auth required pam_env.so
auth required pam_mail.so
account required pam_unix2.so
password required pam_pwcheck.so nullok
password required pam_unix2.so nullok use_first_pass use_authtok
session required pam_unix2.so none # debug or trace
session required pam_limits.so

I suspect something wrong with my PAM configuration. I did no editing
explicitly of these files. There is a /etc/pam.d/xdm but not a
/etc/pam.d/kdm

"login root" from command line fails and goes away before an error can be
detected. "su - root" works.

Anyone know what file I have to tweak or what I am doing wrong?

TIA for any help. Regards.
Bob Pearson
--
I am unique and special, just like everyone else.