Re: [suse-security] SuSE 7.3
  • From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 01:39:58 +0200 (MEST)
> > We're looking at mid November this year for the end of 7.3.
>

> With all updates installed, would it be 'safe' to keep a 7.3 box running, or
> should it be upgraded?

Under all circumstances, you should continue to monitor
suse-security-announce@xxxxxxxxx You can decide yourself if a flaw in a
package (that doesn't get fixed for your system) is acceptable for you or
not. In doubt, you could use a newer source RPM and try to compile it on
your 7.3 system using 'rpm --rebuild pack.spm'.

In the long run, it doesn't pay much if you wait with your system update a
long time after it has been discontinued. After all: A newer system is
more fun.

> bye,
> MH

Thanks,
Roman.

BTW: Two weeks ago I've shut down a SuSE Linux 5.3 system that used to be
an ftp server. I kept it up-to-date in terms of the latest security
updates and used tcp-wrappers for everything possible. It was a beautiful
system, even after more than 5 years.

--
- -
| Roman Drahtm├╝ller <draht@xxxxxxx> // Nail here |