glibc or java/JBoss/EJB problem?
  • From: timo <timo.raty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 12:15:23 +0300
Hi list,

glibc-2.2.5-177 update (is 184 version the same thing?)
has RPC fixes if I did read correctly from SuSE www pages.

My problem is that upgrading from version 164 seems to
cause a huge delay in starting up my JBoss application.

An initial context lookup related initialization that used
to take about 3.3 seconds with the version "164" now takes
about 33 seconds (10 times that of the earlier version).

I think there is glibc dependence as I checked this with applying:
rpm --force -Uvh i386/update/8.1/rpm/i686/glibc-2.2.5-164.i686.rpm
and re-running the application: back to 3.3 seconds.

All this when the stuff goes over network. If the application is run in
the same machine as the EJB server then I get more or less the
better results (about 2.8 seconds).

I could be totally wrong with this but I still want to try finding out
if someone else has already found a fix/solution. I didn't yet dive into
the source of glibc-2.2.5 but I will do that next unless faster solutions
exists. (Of course downgrading is some option too).

java -version reports:

java version "1.4.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1-b21)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1-b21, mixed mode)

any hints, anybody?

regards,

timo

  • No further messages