Re: [suse-security] Re: Root user
  • From: Roland Kuhn <rkuhn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 17:13:39 +0200 (CEST)
On 9 Jul 2003, Francois Pinard wrote:

> [Markus Gaugusch]
>
> > Although it IS possible to add another user with UID 0, it is not
> > recommended to do so for several reasons (and currently I'm too stupid
> > to find name one ... shame on me ;)
>
> I once used to have a `root' and a `root2', both having uid 0 in
> `/etc/passwd', and I used this for quite a while, and do not remember
> any adverse effect. Oh, maybe that with `ls', `root2' created files will
> appear as owned by `root', but this never bothered me.
>
> So if someone was recommending me not to do so, I would be tempted to
> ask for some explicit, convincing justification.

This is not a recommendation in any direction, only a side note: I created
such secondary root accounts so that while I as admin can use one root
password only known to and memorizeable by me, the main users of the PCs can
still get root privileges with their own 'local' root password. The only
drawback is that 'passwd' from localroot changes the password of root, not
localroot... (and believe me, people do such things)

Ciao,
Roland

| TU Muenchen | |
| Physik-Department E18 | Raum 3558 |
| James-Franck-Str. | Telefon 089/289-12592 |
| 85747 Garching | |

"If you think NT is the answer, you didn't understand the question."
- Paul Stephens