Re: [suse-security] Weird scenario...
  • From: Armin Schoech <armin.schoech@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 15:26:16 +0000 (GMT)
Hi Chris !

> I would like to ask you another thing now. I have a linux-box that connects
> to the internet via modem. The ip that it gets is dynamic, ie it changes
> everytime it logs in.
> Can someone tell me a way to create something like an automated e-mail
> message that the server will send to me whenever it logs on and inform me of
> its local ip assigned from the ISP?

--> What about using DynDNS from www.dyndns.org or similar services.
You will get a fixed name.dyndns.org that you can use to reach your
box from the net. A little driver updates the DNS entry every time
your box goes online. There are drivers for a wide variety of
operating systems including linux.

HTH,
Armin

--
Am Hasenberg 26 office: Institut für Atmosphärenphysik
D-18209 Bad Doberan Schloss-Straße 6