Re: [suse-security] Starnge situation, need help!
  • From: Lars Ellenberg <l.g.e@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 20:06:25 +0200
On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 08:30:14AM -0600, chris001@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Can someone tell me a way to create something like an automated e-mail
> message that the server will send to me whenever it logs on and inform me
> of its local ip assigned from the ISP?

have a look at /etc/ppp/ip-up, which will call /etc/ppp/ip-up.local if
that exists and is executable. parameters are
INTERFACE=$1
DEVICE=$2
SPEED=$3
LOCALIP=$4
REMOTEIP=$5
IPPARAM=$6

you now can easily put a line like
mail -s "running with IP $LOCALIP" you@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
into that script.

> This is a weird situation because I have to leave the city for a few weeks
> and I would like to be able to ssh to the server whenever it logs on the
> internet.

more than one way. this question has been answered...

Lars Ellenberg