Re: [suse-security] Re: Root user
  • From: Steffen Dettmer <steffen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 23:13:51 +0200
* Francois Pinard wrote on Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 10:03 -0400:
> I once used to have a `root' and a `root2', both having uid 0 in
> `/etc/passwd', and I used this for quite a while, and do not remember
> any adverse effect.

What does this help? It would be interesting to know, "what
root" e.g. changed or created a file, but as you stated, this is
not possible this way. I think this may introduce some confusion
(without any positive effect I can see) - which I would not
recommend. Maybe this is a reason: KISS (keep it simple, stupid)
is a little violated by such a configuration (which I would call
uncommon and missleading, maybe).

If you what to have multiple people to access this accout, a
shared password should be OK, because root can easily install
local password sniffing by replacing /bin/login or something.
Even strace should be sufficient for this. In this case SSH Keys
help, because even root cannot compromise the secret key of the
connecting client AFAIK.

oki,

Steffen