Re: [suse-security] Network structure and security
  • From: Laurie Brown <laurie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 12:42:13 +0100
Ken Schneider wrote:
On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 05:09, Ray Leach wrote:

This is slightly off topic. It would probably be better suited to the
netfilter mailing list (http://www.netfilter.org/).

Use one PC as router/firewall/proxy/gateway ... we do this for 4
networks on a single PC with 128MB RAM, a lot cheaper than a Cisco 1610
or above ...

Ray

This is great if you have a small office on a tight budget. But how do
you place a price on the security of your network and proprietary data?
In the case of security I always buy the "best" product for the job and
find it better to use seperate boxes for the router and firewall to help
make it harder to break into the network.

We've deployed lots of Linux firewalls, and that's all they do. Keep services, and therefore potential weaknesses, to an absolute minimum. Put the proxy, routing etc. on a separate box.

Cheers, Laurie.
Laurie Brown
laurie@xxxxxxxxxxxx