Re: AW: [suse-security] strange behaviour useradd / usermod
  • From: Sven 'Darkman' Michels <sven@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 20:15:55 +0200
Andreas Winkelmann wrote:
mailinglists wrote:

if you change the password, did you use usermod -p CRYPTEDPASSWORD
or did you use a plaintext password? if plaintext, read man usermod
again ;)

Thanks, that's it. Just checked google on how to crypt passwords. Well...
How am I supposed to crypt the password? man crypt returns the man for crypt.h and 'whereis crypt' also points me to the same header file.
Is there a tool for that?

Hmm, i didn't find anything. The crypt-command is in the systemlibraries, no shell-command. And i know no shell-command which gives the crypted-password on stdout.

with a bit of perl knowledge that should help:

http://nntp.x.perl.org/group/perl.crypto/45

have fun

< Previous Next >