Re: [suse-security] ftp server "best practice"
  • From: Markus Gaugusch <markus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:04:19 +0200 (CEST)
On Jul 24, Daniel Nilsson <dnilsson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm tasked to add an ftp server to our companys "internet presence", the
> ftp server will need to have accounts on it since the data is not for
> the public. Currently our setup consists of a number of Linux firewalls
> for our 4 office locations that then in turn connects these 4 office
> locations using ipsec. In addition, at our main office location we have
> a DMZ with a webserver.
I would suggest to use a HTTP server (no problems with downloading, easy
protection of files using .htaccess. If the passwords are more sensitive,
use HTTPS.
For uploading use SFTP, a very good client program for windows is
FileZilla from http://filezilla.sf.net. Best of all: it's freeware and can
also be used as standard ftp client. You may also want to restrict access
to the sftp (ssh) server based on ip address to get maximum security.

Markus
--
Markus Gaugusch \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign