Problems with a Mail Server and SuSEfirewall2
  • From: "remote" <remote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:10:35 +0200
Hi all !

I administer a small network of Windows and Linux boxes, which are connected to our ISP via SuSE 8.0 Pro Linux box which acts as router, firewall and mail server. The firewall is SuSEfirewall2, the mail server is sendmail 8.12.2, both pretty much out of the box, I just adapted the SuSEfirewall2- script to my needs (and had enough problems doing so !)
A few months ago, our ISP had trouble with their own mail servers which led to mails not being sent at all. However, everything went smoothly after they installed another mail server, no problems since.
However, I recently had to reboot my router box, which had been running continuously for months, and after the reboot the my router sent mails which were originally written and sent by users during the time of the ISP mail server problem, but had not been accepted and forwarded by the ISP at that time.
I don´t understand this behaviour, especially since the regular e-mail traffic seems to be running without a hitch. I suspect that the firewall somehow blocks another sending of mails if the first one failed, but I don´t see why.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dipl.-Ing. Jörg Leicher
Ruhr-Universität Bochum