Re: AW: [suse-security] Loading firewall script on boot time
  • From: Bob Vickers <bobv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:35:38 +0100 (BST)
Ulrith,

The key thing when you create a startup script is that you must include
some comments in a special format between lines
### BEGIN INIT INFO
### END INIT INFO

After putting fwscript in /etc/init.d you should type
# chkconfig fwscript on
to get the run-level links magically created. If you don't do it this way
then SuSEconfig will change any links you create.

This is not all that well documented, but have a look at
/etc/init.d/skeleton
man init.d
man chkconfig

Bob

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Ulrich Roth wrote:

> Hi, Knut Erik,
>
> > Why is my fwscript not loaded at boot time? When i do these steps
> > manually, it will work.
> You should put your script into /etc/rc.d. Then you have to
> create a symbolic link in /etc/rc.d/rcX.d which points to your script.
> X is the number of your default runlevel. If you don't know your default
> runlevel, you can have a look at /etc/inittab. There it is defined.
> The name of the link should begin with S and a high number, e.g.
> S99, because it should be the last script to be executed.
> But take care if you install any additional packets afterwards.
> The system will compute the sequence of the startup scripts
> again, and your script will then start with S00. This is because
> some info in your script is missing which tells the system, namely
> the program insserv, which other scripts/services/daemons have
> to be started before. I haven't gone very deep into this subject yet.
> If the SuSE guys have additional info, I appreciate it.
> Bye
> Uli

Bob Vickers R.Vickers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dept of Computer Science, Royal Holloway, University of London
WWW: http://www.cs.rhul.ac.uk/home/bobv
Phone: +44 1784 443691