Re: [suse-security] Webmin security
  • From: Andy Bennett <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 19:28:44 +0100
Or just login via SSH as root but restrict access to your own external IP
address if it's fixed. It's also possible to do reverse mapping so that the
IP address can be checked against the host name but, again, this really
implies a fixed IP address.

SSH uses a different method of login so isn't affected by the login
restrictions that login has, i.e. you can comment out login in
/etc/inetd.conf

There are a couple of different authentication mechanisms including Kerberos
or public key and you can also use a couple of other tools including scp to
copy files back and forth between systems so you can download a file, edit it
and check it works OK, (assuming you have a similar system to work on), and
then upload it.

I use yast for most stuff or edit files for the more difficult things.

Rgds
Andy