Re: [suse-security] chkrootkit and consorts
  • From: Andreas Wagner <A.Wagner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 11:48:30 +0200
Hello Pedro, hello list,

* Pedro Cáliz wrote on May/03/2003:
> > 5 - what do you think of the idea of creating and regularly running a
> > customized shellscript that would unzip the tools plus a set of trusted
> > binaries and then uses these instead of the always-installed ones? But
> > that would mean i had to make special setups/'make install's, wouldn't
> > it? and it wouldn't work with resident tools (rkdet) at all, right?
>
> Perharps it's more easy, and more secure to run your trustred binaries from a
> CD. Sure anybody can't touch your code, config's, etc . ;-)

Yes, i'm aware of that this is the usual way to handle it. I just
thought that a local bzip2 archive would a) be easier to handle/update
and b) wouldn't require me to worry about having the correct CD in the
drive at the right time...
BTW, i am trying to set this up on my home-/notebook-system which i am
also using for my day-to-day work, so running this machine as a
dedicated firewall/router is not an option. (Basically i am doing these
security things to get used to them in order to maybe later use them at
work...)

Cheers,
Andreas

--