Re: [suse-security] Windows commands for linux internet
  • From: Markus Gaugusch <markus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 08:41:37 +0200 (CEST)
On May 12, Chris Bek <chris001@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a Linux server which serves as an Internet gateway for a 5 PC
> (Win9X) network. The main user of the network wants to have 2 icons on
> his desktop (Win9X) such that: By double clicking the first one, the
> LinuxBox dials-in the internet and the 2nd logs him out.
I would suggest to install putty and generate a ssh key without (or maybe
with?) password. With this key the user can login to some special account
and perform something like "sudo <command to start inet connection" in
the login script and another account for stopping the inet connection. You
just have to setup sudo (or wait, I think that even normal users can
start/stop an inet connection...).
You can even give putty the remote command (just looked it up):
Preferences->Connection->SSH->Remote command.

> The current installation of the Linux Box is a 7.2 SuSE out-of-the-box
> installation.
Someone else said, that 7.2 is no more supported. This is wrong, it will
be supported until 8.3/9.0 (or whatever the next version will be named) is
out.
But you should regulary run yast online update or fou4s.

Markus
--
Markus Gaugusch \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign