Re: [suse-security] Discontinued SuSE Linux Distributions ( when will this happen to 7.2?)
  • From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 11:33:52 +0200 (MEST)
> > > It will happen when the version _after_ 8.2 is available on ftp.
> >
> > 8.2 is _available_ on ftp, thats why _7.1_ was _discontinued_.
> >

> We are using the occasion to kill one while another gets born. So the
> benefit for the community remains the same.
>
> Roman.

There is something I forgot to add: There is a new directory on the ftp
server: /pub/suse/axp/supplementary/8.1/. It is a SuSE Linux 8.1 for
AXP/Alpha. The tree is located in the supplementary directory _because_
this distribution will not see any updates. The idea behind it is that
we would like to publish what we have (and what we use internally) to
provide a service for the community, and since we have removed the
last axp distribution from the list of distributions that get updates,
it's a good idea to at least publish a new one.
We can't provide any updates for the 8.1-axp distribution because we're
lacking all kinds of resources for it: Machines (build hosts), testing/qa
resources, ... There is no easy way of providing these resources without
the necessary funding.

The supplementary directory trees for the architectures will see some new
entry every once in a while in the next few weeks. Just because there are
some things that we have on hold but that can't have updates.

Roman.