Re: [suse-security] Discontinued SuSE Linux Distributions
  • From: Markus Gaugusch <markus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 13:08:09 +0200 (CEST)
On May 14, Martin Schichl <mschichl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have still a server running on Suse 7.1
> [...]
> My problem: The machine is a server which should be running permanently.
> So I should update the system while running the machine ... any ideas if there
> are problems updating the system to 8.2 from 7.1 ...
I would install 8.2 on a new harddisk, copy all settings from the 7.1
machine and swap disks (this saves you from doing a backup ;) or copy the
new installation over the old one.

> I can remember I had to work for two days to get my server running
> again, when I upgraded from 6.3 to 7.1 ... as the directories, etc. did
> not fit anymore ... :-((((
Will be the same with 8.2, lots of things have changed (which is good
IMHO, because it means that there is still some movement in the
distribution).

Markus
--
Markus Gaugusch \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign