AW: [suse-security] Discontinued SuSE Linux Distributions
  • From: "Ulrich Roth" <Roth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 16:18:26 +0200
Hi Martin,

> My problem: The machine is a server which should be running
> permanently.
> So I should update the system while running the machine ...
> any ideas if there are problems updating the system to 8.2 from 7.1 ...
>
> I can remember I had to work for two days to get my server
> running again, when I upgraded from 6.3 to 7.1 ... as the directories, etc.
> did not fit anymore ... :-((((
>
> Any hints or other suggestions?
Here is my suggestion if you have the appropriate hardware:
Install 8.2 on a new machine.
Then install all additional applications and configure everything
identically.
If everything is well prepared and if you are lucky, the only thing you
need to do is to plug out the network cable from the old machine and
plug it into the new machine. Downtime: a few seconds.
For me this worked already three times.
Bye
Uli
--
Ulrich Roth
IMPACT Business & Technology Consulting GmbH

  • No further messages