Re: [suse-security] harden_suse
  • From: Richard Ibbotson <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 15:33:26 +0100 (BST)
HI

> Does anybody know what happened to the harden_suse and bastille scripts?
> Can't find them for the 8.2 distribution on the ftp-server and mirrors
> any more.
> For the 8.1 distribution i could find under /suse/noarch for harden and
> /suse/i586 for bastille. But now ?

I was asking the same question some time ago but didn't get any
answers. I tried Bastille on SuSE 8.1. and 8.2. It was hopeless.
Other issues are that I run two servers in the States every day of the
week. I don't own them or have root privileges. These servers are
configured with Bastille. There is at least one DoS a week on each
machine. No one understands that something is wrong with them.

So, back to harden_suse.rpm. I've used this on 8.1 and 8.2 machines.
It just about works. Makes life hard for attackers. I'm sure that I
shouldn't be using it. If I do 'touch /etc/rc.config' the script runs
but probably doesn't do what it should.

I'd be interested to hear answers about what to do with harden_suse ?

Richard
www.sheflug.co.uk