Re: [suse-security] ACLs on ext3
On Wed, 04 Sep 2002, Fu Man Chu wrote:

> Hi all, I don't know if this is off-topic but I think that ACL's is a
> security issue

So do I.

> I don't want to have to do a backup/restore of all
> my data

Thats a security issue, also, but for another day :-)
My suggestions follow.

> I've applied the patches on the acl
>
> (http://acl.bestbits.at/) but I've got some messsages telling me that some
> files have already been patched (kernel sources under
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.18.SuSE) So I've stopped the procedure.
>
> Anybody knows what must I do next?

The x.SuSE kernels have a lot of patches already (I don't have access
to a disk with 2.4.18 on it as I write)

Unfortunately for you the kernel sources are not like a typical source
rpm, with pristine sources in one tarball, and patches in separate
files.

So I would suggest that you obtain a pristine 2.4.18 kernel from
a kernel.org mirror and patch it with the patches you need.

(I expect you are aware that patches are typically designed to be
applied with the patch-kernel script in /usr/src/linux/scripts)

(Looking in the people/mantel/next folder on a SuSE ftp mirror may
help you find the patches you need/want for your system. But remember
that the patches in that directory are tests for a future SuSE kernel,
2.4.19 last time I looked, so you might also go back to the
mailing lists and websites of the patch authors to gather patches.)

BTW also make sure you have a backup of your data before you boot a
a newly patched kernel.

Make sure your rescue disk works, reinstall you boot manager per the
manual and best wishes.

dproc
(your mail alias is as strange as mine, but I noticed that people who
use their real names are more common, and probably more effective, on
lists like suse-security.)