RE: [suse-security] DNS
  • From: "Reckhard, Tobias" <tobias.reckhard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:14:53 +0200
> > My PTR / reversing of my domain names seem not to be working any
> > pointers were I can look to fix this?..
> Except for people who own a whole C-class network you must tell your
> provider to change the PTR records. You can't administrate
> them yourself,
> if you have less than a C-class network.

Yes, you can.

Either you use the RFC 2317 muck to work around BIND's configuration file
problems with CIDR, introducing lots of ugly CNAMEs in the process.

Or you have the (DNS) authority for your parent zone to delegate all the IP
addresses you own to your DNS server individually. This straightforward
approach is technically more elegant and consumes less resources. It's also
slightly nicer for the parent. It's not so great for you if you use BIND,
because you need a separate zone file (and corresponding config file entry)
for every individual IP address. It's utterly painless with djbdns, or, more
specifically, tinydns from the djbdns package.

Cheers
Tobias