AW: [suse-security] OT: please answer privately
  • From: mailinglists@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 12:01:38 +0200
hello boys,

since this might be of public interest, here's a short manual how to set up
bloody promise fasttrak 100 tx-2 (20270 chipset) ide raid controller on a
Suse 8 System. (yes I made it run! I'm the greatest!!)

1. get the drivers from promise.com and read carefully readme.txt
2. do exactly what they write in readme.txt until you experience first
problems (they will come soon enough ;-)
3. You will find out that suse setup found 3 hard disks: /dev/hda, /dev/hde
and /dev/sda or similar. This is wrong. you should only see /dev/sda.
4. ignore this fact and install everything into /dev/sda
5. in boot options (suse setup) define user boot loader (don't use lilo)
5. make your choices on software etc, setup keyboard, setup time, just the
normal stuff.
6. start setup.
7. After copying all packages onto your harddrive you may experience setup
saying: "cannot write mbr"
8. now you have to leave the readme.txt path. Ignore this error message and
continue. You will fix that later.
9. After completeing the setup just as normal, you root into the shell and
mount your floppy and start sh setup-ft
10. check whether the kernel images are in /boot. if they are not,
/etc/lilo.conf will be missing too. install them from package k_deflt
11. if the kernel images are there, check lilo.conf. Check the append lines
for syntax errors (wrong tokens). Check the disk = parameter. if needed
change it to /dev/sda
12. install mbr to /dev/sda using lilo command (see man lilo how to do it)
13. using lilo command define the proper boot device (/dev/sda)
14. run lilo
15. reboot - it should work now.

Remark: I didn't have to install k_deflt package in my last attempt. The way
to solve these problems may be other than what I described above.

Thanks to everybody who tried to help me.

Philipp