Re: [suse-security] 8.0 openssh update?
  • From: Michael Zimmermann <zim@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 08:37:27 +0200
At Mittwoch, 25. September 2002 02:45 Michael Galloway wrote:
> Moin Michael!

Good morning!

> > [I wrote to you] You missed to read the security lists.
> thank you for that insight. bah!

'bah' is some slang meaning 'yes, you are right' ?
I know, it's not easy to take a word of criticism
before the first coffee. .o)

This topic was on suse-security mailing list for the
past two months, Olaf Kirch posted a clarifying advisory
to suse-security and bugtraq with the subject line
"SuSE Security Announcement: Slapper worm (SuSE-SA:2002:033)"
five days ago.

You certainly have not read at least one of the lists,
but ask the members of suse-security for infomation.
Shall I do your homework and give you a direct link
to the advisory, so that you need not search the archives?
Let me have my second coffee first, sir...

> its really not very complicated. i install 8.0, i install the current
> openssl and openssh packages off the suse ftp site, now ssh does not start
> at boot time. period, simple as that. i've been using suse since before
> 5.1, so i have done an install or two.

But I doubt you did much of trouble shooting (on your own that is)
in that time. Otherwise you would know that one needs to look
at the corresponding log file entries or could even start the
daemon manually in debug mode. If the rpm is downloaded,
it's signature verified, installed correctly and the start
script activated. And if you did all that, I wonder
why you wouldn't show us the results of that activities.

> thanks again for your help with this problem.

You are welcome, but I think, the source of your
problem is not in the sshd software, but rather
between the display and the keyboard.

In my way (criticizing you) I'm helping with
exactly that problem, as I see it.

Greetings
Michael
--
"Ignorance" is not "not knowing"
but "not wanting to know" - or believing

< Previous Next >