Problems with SuSEfirewall2, Masquarding after Connection lost
  • From: Jammer <Jammer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 21:11:20 +0200
Hi *

I'm using a SuSE 7.2 Box with SuSEfirewall2 (installed from RPM) to
Masquarde my Network at home using my DSL - Connection.

Everything works fine, till the one Point:
When i loose my Internet-Connection due to a 24h disconnect, reboot
or 'playing around with the pppoed' I have the following problem:

By default I do the following steps in a cronjob:
test if pppoed is running
if not, stop everything and restart all the things

/sbin/checkproc /usr/sbin/pppoed24 || {
/etc/rc.d/pppoed stop > /dev/null
sleep 2
/etc/rc.d/pppoed start > /dev/null
sleep 5
/usr/bin/killall ddclient
sleep 1
/usr/sbin/ddclient
/root/bin/settime.sh >/dev/null
sleep 2
}

It works but with one problem:
I have a network masquaraded and when i loose connection and
re-establish connection i can ping from the hosts that are
masquaraded, but i can not resolve any DNS-Names. I can see no drops
in the firewall logs, so everything is ok.. and after 5-10 Minutes
DNS-lookups are working.

So why does it take 5 Minutes till Namelookups are working on the
masquarded hosts?

Thx for any hints
Jan

--
NEVER MESS WITH IDIOTS. FIRST THEY LOWER YOU TO THEIR LEVEL AND THEN THEY BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE!