Re: AW: [suse-security] SuSE Security Announcement: mod_ssl, mm (SuSE-SA:2002:028)
  • From: Olaf Kirch <okir@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 10:42:33 +0200
On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 10:08:41AM +0200, d.huecking@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I saw this thing happen two times before. I did an update of many
> RPM-packages and the hell knows why when processing rpm seemed to stop
> working and took around 100% system load. I killed rpm after waiting some
> minutes and tried to process explicitly this one package, but rpm showed

According to the strace, rpm got stuck in an infinite loop reading
something from the database; not sure what. But it definitely shouldn't
be doing this.

> just the same behaviour... As a solution I made a backup of my
> rpm-database (/var/lib/rpm) and regenerated it with rpm --rebuilddb. After
> that the update ran as expected.

I've never done this myself, but it seems like a good thing to try.
(including the part about backing up /var/lib/rpm first :)

Cheers,
Olaf
--
Olaf Kirch | Anyone who has had to work with X.509 has probably
okir@xxxxxxx | experienced what can best be described as