su doesn't work after yast2 security change
  • From: Ferdinand Schmid <fschmid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 13:37:38 -0600
HI,
I am noticing that the su command fails after using yast2 (curses based version) to configure security. It appears that the file permissions -> paranoid selection breaks su.

One problem that I easily found is that it changes the permissions for
/etc/login.defs to 600, which appears to prevent anybody but root to login.

But even after fixing those perms to 644 I can't use su anymore. I can't even su to another regular user. /etc/pam.d/su doesn't appear to be the problem.

Any hints?

Thanks,
Ferdinand
--