Re: [suse-security] NSA SELinux
  • From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 12:22:03 +0200 (MEST)

> - Modification to util-linux-2.11f/text-utils/Makefile:
> A library is missing for more:
> Buggy:
> more: more.o $(LIB)/xstrncpy.o
> $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) $^ -o $@ $(LIBTERMCAP)
> better:
> more: more.o $(LIB)/xstrncpy.o
> $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) $^ -o $@ $(LIBTERMCAP) $(LIBCURSES)
>
> However if you compare the makefile from the SELinux package to the
> original or to the SuSE makefile, it's slightly different at this point.
> I don't know why they changed (RedHat or SELinux staff) it. If you
> change the makefile so that it looks like the original or the SuSE
> version it should work I think.

If you look at the redhat source RPM for the libncurses package, you will
know.

A hint: On my 8.0 at home I've installed just about everything that had
-devel in the package name. The time looking for these packages doesn't
compare to the cost of these few megs of space under /usr/include and
similar.

I usually copy the /ARCHIVES.gz from the first CD to / so that I can
locate just about any file in the distribution with a single zgrep
command. It happened too many times that I was about to install some
library or utility from the internet on my box, and it turned out that I
just didn't look close enough for it on the CDs. *sigh*

> > Are you modifying the SuSE srpms or just using tars from each vendor as
> > appropriate? I'm interestd in making RPMs out of each at some point.
> My goal is to modify as least as possible in order to have a very simple
> installation. First I tried to change Makefiles and configuration files
> but its easier to leave SELinux as it is and install necessary
> libraries. I don't like messing with packages if it is not absolutely
> necessary. And I don't want to do the job over and over again when a new
> release comes.

Welcome to the club. :-)
Do it like the SuSE packagers do: Provide the patches that you made and
send them to the authors. After a while, it should compile flawlessly on
all systems. You remember: there are 3000+ packages on a SuSE, and most of
them cause little or no headache when you build an RPM package from the
sources.

> Shall we move to the suse-selinux mailing list or keep the thread here open?
>
> Mark

Thanks,
Roman.
--