Re: [suse-security] NSA SELinux
  • From: Mark Müller <trusted@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 23:44:49 +0200
Roman Drahtmueller wrote:
- Modification to util-linux-2.11f/text-utils/Makefile:
If you look at the redhat source RPM for the libncurses package, you will
know.
I took a short look at it but it revealed nothing to me (as I'm not that familiar with Makefiles) :) The RedHat-rpm has the originial package with the original makefile. So shame on RedHat.

A hint: On my 8.0 at home I've installed just about everything that had
-devel in the package name. The time looking for these packages doesn't
compare to the cost of these few megs of space under /usr/include and
similar.
Indeed it's usefull. But if someone starts from zero he just wonders why the sources don't compile. However I finally succeeded without installing a massive *-devel-*.rpm. And now I got a good argument against Linux when I have to defend Micro$oft against Linux ;p

I usually copy the /ARCHIVES.gz from the first CD to / so that I can
locate just about any file in the distribution with a single zgrep
command. It happened too many times that I was about to install some
library or utility from the internet on my box, and it turned out that I
just didn't look close enough for it on the CDs. *sigh*
Well I like ftp-ing the latest (exploit free?) packages from my favorite SuSE mirror.

Welcome to the club. :-)
Do it like the SuSE packagers do: Provide the patches that you made and
send them to the authors. After a while, it should compile flawlessly on
all systems. You remember: there are 3000+ packages on a SuSE, and most of
them cause little or no headache when you build an RPM package from the
sources.
No patches yet. Installing libraries will do fine. The tools I've tested under the SELinux kernel work (e.g. modified login, ps, ls). Building is really easy if you know the dependencies :)

Currently I'm adapting configuration files to the SuSE system layout and watching the log file for access violations in permissive mode.

Mark