Re: [suse-security] Telnet Problem
  • From: Peter van den Heuvel <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 14:30:19 +0200
> > I'm having a problem with my Linux Server (SuSE 7.0). Someone has
> > tried to login to my machine without username and password.
> > He/She tried to login with Telnet (from Windows) with extra
> > commands behind the telnet command. He/She can access my Linux
> > Server without Username and Password.
Turning a machine off is safest ;^)
Otherwise the question was not for an alternative but just what harm
could be in the situation described.

Like it or not, telnet can be a requirement. I've got users from
locations where ANY form of encrypted network trafic is not allowed,
just because the company want's to be able to read what's on their net.
We might disagree with their point of view, but over the years I've
learnt not to debate multinational corporate IT regulations; the human
lifespan does simply not accomodate for such endeavours.

And since I'm not too sure of an _answer_ myself, anybody smarter out
there?

Peter