Re: [suse-security] "RTFM" as an answer for OT questions (was: nmap)
  • From: Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 19:36:50 +0200
[ yes, it's sad -- I'm contributing to the off topic thread
in the hope to see these things reduced in the future ... ]

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 13:01 +0100, arawak wrote:

> I was only asking for help, but some people don't seem to realise that
> not all have the same experience and need things explaining a little bit
> better than the man page..

You missed the most important part: You haven't been rejected
for asking something. You have been rejected for asking
something _unrelated_ in _this_ list. This was done to actually
*help* all the list members (keep the articles on topic, keep
the volume "managable" -- no I won't say "low"). If there
wasn't a line drawn we soon would discuss _anything_
here making the list useless and merely wasteful. Please
reread the answers and rethink your "they told me I would
be dumb" impression. Learn to differ between a "f**k off"
and a "not here please, go _there_ instead"! Remember that
political correctness is only about being kind and not really
about being friendly or even helpful. Telling you what to read
on your own or which field to research is more help than holding
your hands and walking you through a single task when you wouldn't
learn a thing in this process (and come back to cry for help
with the next little problem). Should you need this kind of hand
holding go and get a support contract but don't try to (ab)use
other people's precious spare time. Please consider this side
of the medaille and you suddenly know where certain reactions
come from.

PS: Of course should the subject's acronym be expanded to
"R *this* FM" for being helpful. But that's what we all know.
It's just that some people are scared by the words "please do
your homework before using others' resources" when they before
were being spoon fed. :)

virtually yours 82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4 61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@xxxxxxx