Re: [suse-security] inittab entry
  • From: Andreas Baetz <andreas.baetz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 16:27:05 +0200
On Friday 14 June 2002 15:45, Olson, John C wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Was concerned about the control-alt-delete entry in the default
> /etc/inittab file. Was curious to hear if good practice was typically to
> remove this entry entirely or replace the shutdown command with something
> else. Please let me know.
It is sometimes useful to have it if I cannot login to the box due to some
reason and want to shutdown it gracefully to save me from fsck.

If the keyboard is near the box anyway I'm not concerned about
someone pressing control-alt-delete, he/she could use the power switch
or reset button, too. I would rather think about physical security of the box
itself.

If I had a box secured somewhere and the keyboard accessible from the public,
I would probably disable this inittab entry.

Andreas Baetz

the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been scanned
for the presence of computer viruses.