Re: [suse-security] suse web and ftp standalone firewall help
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 20:18:45 -0800
On Sunday 16 June 2002 10:46 am, Ash LWS wrote:
> So I am wondering can and should I use SuSE 7.3 with a minimal install and
> very few services running including firewall2 (?), NAT, and DHCP.  I do not
> need to access the machine remotely but I would like to packet filter
> except for basic web use including SSL and ftp and tftp.  Games are not
> much of a concern.  I have read a great deal about how a firewall should
> work "in theory" but I lack the practice of building one.  I understand the
> basics of the rule sets but I do not want to leave something open of
> undone.

That's exactly what I've done. Found an old Pentium 166 and
use two nics. Also collect mail there for machines inside
the firewall.

I found Shorewall ( http://www.shorewall.net ) much easier
to understand, configure, and get working than the Suse
firewall. I STRONGLY recommend it for newbies like me.
Free download.

The dhcpd as supplied by SUSE was also easy to setup,
but you could just as well hard code IPs in your house on
the 192.169 subnet.

No I Don't Yahoo!
And I'm getting pretty sick of being asked if I do.
John Andersen / Juneau Alaska