Re: [suse-security] Online Update, automatic mirroring of relevant packages
  • From: "Brian L. Shaver" <shakerlxxv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 12:17:43 -0600
On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 02:34:19PM +0000, Robert Davies wrote:
> On Sunday 03 February 2002 12:53, l.g.e@xxxxxx wrote:
>
> > since YaST online update feature has been discusse recently, I thought
> > this could be of interest.
> >
> > Because of an unstable modem dialup at home I once wrote a dirty hack to
> >
> > has to be tested by someone else but me to verify that it actually
> > works...
> > any volunteers?
> >
> > I'd like to send the perl script and some setup instructions in private
> > mail, 'tis ~450 lines.
>
> Count me in! I have modem dialup, and a second machine with pristine 7.3 on
> it, YOU never been run, so it should be a good test.
>
> You'll have to give me some time to read through your code though, if it's
> too unreadable or unclear to me, I wouldn't be running it.
>
> Been thinking about YOU and wondering why it's patch download is so slow, it
> ran so much faster when I mirrored the whole updates directory locally.
>
> Rob

I'd like to give it whirl as well. I've got 3 boxes with 7.1 on them. They
are now quite independent configuration/package wise. I use one box as
my internet gateway. Connection is 56K dial-up.

I've been using wget to mirror some of the 7.1 update directories, and then
have my own script which I run on each box that looks through the mirrored
stuff for updates that pertain to that box and emails me the list. It uses
filenames on the rpm files, and the 'rpm -q -i <package>' output to
determine if the mirror is a new release or new version.

This generally works for me. I started this a few months back. However,
it took me a good full weekend online to get good mirror base to work from.

Brian ..
< Previous Next >