SuSE YOU / Yast2
  • From: christian.burri@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 13:37:25 +0100
Hello List,

I only had one single problem with YOU, respectively Yast2:
Every now and then all the modules disappear and I cant do anything but
"Quit".
I mentioned this problem before, and Roman told me to just reinstall Yast2,
which worked so far. Only thing is: it happened again, and then again on
some
other machine (All SuSE 7.2 IIRC). Maybe this is another bug that needs to
be fixed?

Then, another thing with yast2 is: When using installation from an FTP
server,
would it be possible to make Yast2 cache the packet descriptions? I found
it quite annoying when I had to install some stuff via FTP lately (customer
didnt
find his SuSE CDs), then I quit "packet management", to find that I forgot
install some package, so I go back to "packet management" and it loads all
the huge description files again, even when it read those like 20 minutes
ago?
Maybe a "use cached version or reload from server?" question would be nice?

Other then that I find yast2 to be quite useful, all in all, a good thing
that
people are working on to make it better, etc etc, and having it avail is
better
then not to, isn't it?

As far as it yast1 is concerned, I do alot of work using it (its more sleek
and
handy for some things then yast2, ie, installing packages etc is much more
easy with yast1, I find). And if I could make a wish, I'd wish it wont
disappear.

Oh and I apperciate, I *really* do, that yast2 does not only work with X
but
also from console, despite what some "security professionals" are
insiting on (Roman might remeber the email I received, not too long ago..)

BIG GRIN, CHEERS and THANK YOU :-)

Chris Burri

.-.
/v\ L I N U X