Re: [suse-security] MS Word Docs hosts security relevant metadata
  • From: Tilman Mueller-Gerbes <tmg@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 16:09:00 +0100

Hi Michael,

you could use MIMEdefang for this purpose, it integrates with
sendmail by using the milter-API avaiable since versions 8.11
(sp?).

It can do what you would like to achieve.

Though modifying Mail clearly violates the RFC ;), using it on a
carefully configured Border-Gateway (such as your internal
SMTP-gateway for outgoing mail) will usually not cause too much
problems. The point there really is that the MTA modifying the
mail should be configured in a way to 1. not interfere with
normal mail delivery processes and because of this needs to be
careful when modifying messages (think of delivery/error
notifications and possible mail-loops/mail-floods when not being
very careful about which mails to modify and what to do in case
of errors).

cu, Tilman

Am Donnerstag, 7. Februar 2002 16:01 schrieb Michael Appeldorn:
> Anyway - i did not ask 4 some terms, but for the possibility
> to modify/convert attachments before sending them out.
>
> Amavis e.g. sits somewhere in the transfer process of email
> and gets to see the attachments. But I wont to reinvent the
> wheel by trying to patch it to this function. (DOC->PDF via
> Ghostscript)

- --
Tilman Müller-Gerbes, Cologne/Germany
E: tmg@xxxxxxx, T: 0221/1206380, F: 0221/1206381