Re: [suse-security] openssh
  • From: Steffen Dettmer <steffen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:55:59 +0100
* Ralf Schoenian wrote on Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 06:42 +0100:
> I have tried to install a new openssh version on a SuSE Linux 6.4 The rpm
> expected the glibc 2.2 so I have installed this too.
> Now I am in trouble.

Yes, you are.

> A friend told me, that the server will not reboot. Is that
> true? Does anyone have an idea what I can do?

Did you installed a second glibc beside the old? Somewhere in the
web there is a doc about it. Well, if you have physical access,
after a reboot you need to login and a shell. login is linked
statically usually (so no libs needed). You need a mingetty, try
ldd /sbin/mingetty
if you get any "not found"s, you're in trouble. Same for
/bin/bash and the other esstials. /sbin/init should be static,
too. You should install sash, the standalone shell, which is
linked statically also, and has many build-in commands (as ls and
even a small mount). In case of boot problems, you can try to
give at LILO prompt something like init=/bin/sash to get at least
a shell. To use glibc2.2, you would need to recompile everything
which is mostly not possible. Well, of course you need to build a
glibc2.2 compiler and such, in short, it's not trival.

In your case you may try to backup the affected files in /lib and
the confs, and rpm --force the glibc packets of the SuSE
distribution. This may break your new OpenSSL but makes sure your
server will reboot (hopefully, try some ldd commands!). After
that, try if openssl works. If not, try to recompile your
OpenSSL.

Finally, nothing of this is security related I think.

oki,

Steffen