Re: openssh
  • From: ralf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:03:15 +0100
Hi Engelbert,

engelbert.gruber@xxxxxxxxx schrieb am 25.02.2002, 09:19:55:
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Ben Rosenberg wrote:
>
> > If you install something that was compiled for glibc 2.2 on a 2.4 glibc
> > system then it will run..ie backwards compatible..but if you install
> > something compiled for glibc 2.4 on a system with 2.2 installed..it most
> > like will hiccup and not run right. So if you update glibc on a system
> > to a newer version..then some of the software will need recompiling so
> > it can run right. It's not forward compatible...2.4 binaries will have
> > issues running on a 2.2 (glibc) system.
> suse64 is pre glibc as far as i can remember, so everything should run as
> glibc is backwards compatible.

Are you sure?
I left the libc untouched. I could imagine that the elder daemons will
use the libc and only the newer sshd will use the glibc but who knows
for sure?! I will install a second server on another machine within
vmware and test it. In the meanwhile I will pray that I do not have to
reboot. Should have done this testing before.

Million thanks for all your answers, so far.

Greetings
Ralf Schoenian