Re: [suse-security] passwords
  • From: Markus Gaugusch <markus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:17:24 +0100 (CET)
On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Daniel Gustavo Prez wrote:
> I want to update a mail server but i donĀ“t have the passwords of my
> users, anybody can tell me how i could to obtain this passwords ???
If you just update an existing installation, you just have to save
/etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.
You can't retreive the clear text passwords of the users, because only a
hash is stored and not the real password. If the new mailserver is a major
change to your IT, so why should the users not get new passwords?

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Gaugusch ICQ 11374583 \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign