Re: [suse-security] Problem keeping network alive
  • From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:34:20 +0100 (MET)

> Hi all
>
> Im running SuSE 7.1 kernel 2.2.18. I have compiled a kernel with only
> the basics, for server, i.e no module support,only the network and
> varius hardware. I am having though problems keeping the ethernet alive
> since it stays on for a while and then it goes of and takes ages to
> re-activate. Please can some one tell me if there are other packages in
> the system that deactivate the network module and how can i see when the
> modules are enabled and when disabled. Also i have disabled all the
> green functions of the system bios and still have the same problem. I
> suspect its something in the kernel but dont really know what it is.
> Like when you let it on the kde login screen and after some time the
> screen goes black, guess that is cause somewhere there is another power
> saving module enabled, which affects the network as well.
>
> Thanks for any help.

suse-security is a security related mailinglist, and this posting is
slightly off-topic. Please ask somewhere else.

If I were you, I'd install a 2.2.19 kernel rpm from
ftp.suse.com/.../update/x/kernel and give it a try, at the same time check
cables and other network equipment. That kernel hint is especially
valuable if you have a tulip or eepro100 network card. Exchange more and
more equipment and see when the problem goes away.

Thanks,
Roman.
--
- -