Re: [suse-security] non-working mail-funktion
  • From: nicola moretti <moretti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 12:57:16 +0100

Daniel Quappe wrote:

> hi list,
>
> the last days i configured a firewall-machine with
> a stripped-down suse 7.2 (all patches installed).
> i am using SuSEfirewall2 etc. and have installed
> postfix for dependency-reasons, but stopped it.
> as far as i know i can use the command "mail ..."
> for mailing to other hosts without running postfix.
> but i have got problems with the seccheck-info-mails
> because no mail has ever been delivered.
> do i have to start the mail-software to get the info-
> mails by secceck or other processes?

Sorry, I'm not sure I got the point here. Do you just mean that your
computer will not be used as a mail server?
If this is the case (quite normal...), you can configure postfix to act
"local only" (the postfix faq has some examples, IIRC), but you can't
*completely* stop it, or no mail at all will ever be delivered to local users.

> best regards,
>
> daniel

regards, and happy new year
nicola